On the search for Baldur’s Gate 3 Best Karlach Companion Build? This detailed guide covers everything you need to know.
- Oliver Not Opening Portal in Baldur’s Gate 3 – Talk to Halsin Stuck! – The Panther Tech
- Kagha’s Chest Unlock Guide: How to investigate Kagha in Baldur’s Gate 3 – The Panther Tech
- Stuck in Druid’s Grove Quest Bug Baldur’s Gate 3 (BG3) – Defeat the Raiders! – The Panther Tech
Who is Karlach in Baldur’s Gate 3?
Karlach is a potential companion in Baldur’s Gate 3. She is a powerful Asmodeus Tiefling Barbarian who you can recruit along the Risen Road in the game’s first chapter. As a slave soldier, she’s inspired by acts of kindness toward the oppressed and prefers to solve problems like a true fighter.
Companions are a group of non-player characters who join your party and accompany you throughout the game. They act as additional combat support, contribute to the story, and offer different perspectives on in-game events.
Best Karlach Companion Build
So far, the Barbarian class has 3 subclasses. Berserker, Wildheart, and Wild Magic. It is possible that Larian Studios may add more subclasses in the future. But out of these 3, Karlach is best suited to be a Berserker Barbarian.
This support class is straightforward with the best overall healing and group utility. It also fits Karlach’s style, featuring high-damage attacks and using the battle’s frenzy to her advantage. This subclass gives you access to Frenzy, which grants you the following abilities:
- Frenzied Strike: This is a Weapon Action that allows you to make a melee attack with your equipped weapon as a bonus action. It can be used both across the battlefield and to harm or aid other Characters.
- Enraged Throw: Another bonus action where your barbarian picks up an item or creature and throws it at a target. This deals Bludgeoning damage and knocks the target Prone for one turn. Heavier items do more damage and your strength determines the weight you can throw.
These abilities are very helpful while Raging. They help you both deal damage and knock out pesky opponents. Enraged Throw also lets you throw your weapon, dealing damage equal to the melee damage of that weapon.
Ability Scores are six core stats that determine a character’s capabilities in Baldur’s Gate 3. Companion characters have their ability scores automatically distributed without the ability to change.
Below are the Ability Scores for the Karlach companion:
- 16 Strength
- 14 Dexterity
- 16 Constitution
- 8 Intelligence
- 12 Wisdom
- 8 Charisma
Baldur’s Gate 3 lets you explore the world, loot chests and your enemies’ dead bodies for useful items, potions, armor, weapons, scrolls, etc. Out of all the weapons available in the game, the Barbarian Berserker is best suited to two-handed weapons like Greatswords and Greataxes.
You may be tempted to take the Dual-Wielder Feat and use two weapons, but this isn’t recommended for Berserkers due to their low synergy stat.
The most recommended weapons for Barbarian Berserkers are:
- Sword of Justice
This is a rare Martial Two-Handed Melee Weapon. You obtain it from Anders at The Risen Road during Quest Hunt the Devil. It has a range of 1.5 meters and weighs 3 kilograms.
- Everburn Blade
This is an uncommon Martial Two-Handed Melee Weapon. You get it from Zhalk, the Tiefling forces’ commander attacking the Mind Flayer Nautiloid. This guaranteed drop has a range of 1.5 meters and a weight of 2.7 kilograms.
Gear and Armor
Despite being very melee-focused, the Barbarian’s Berserker Subclass doesn’t do well with heavy armor. As a result, you need to be very strategic with the gear and armor you equip.
Below is a list of some of the best gear and armor for Karlach Barbarian Berserker:
- Haste Helm
This Rare helmet makes you gain Momentum for 3 turns at the start of combat. You can find it inside a Wooden chest near the Blighted Village Waypoint.
- Linebreaker Boots
When you Dash or take a similar action during combat with these boots on, you gain Wrath for 3 turns. Beastmaster Zurk drops these Rare boots in Worg Pens.
- Crusher Ring
This Rare ring increases Speed by +3m when equipped. You can find it in Goblin Camp where it is dropped by the Novice Crusher.
- Absolute’s Talisman
This is an Uncommon amulet located in the Shattered Sanctum where it is dropped by True Soul Gut. When its wearer deals damage and has less than 25% of their hit points left, they gain 1d8 hit points.
- Githyanki Half Plate
This common medium Armor gives the wearer AC bonus from Dexterity limited to +2 and Disadvantage on Stealth rolls. You can find it at Mountain Pass, carried by the members of the Githyanki patrol.
Consumables, Potions, and Items
Here are the best consumable items for your Karlach Barbarian Build:
- Potion of Speed: This potion gives the drinker the Haste effect for 3 Turns, followed by Exhausted for 1 Turn. It’s commonly dropped by dead Mindflayers.
- Elixir of Hill Giant Strength: You can find this in the Doctor’s Cellar under the Blighted Village. Drink it to increase your strength score to 21 for one minute.
- Arrow of Fire: This arrow deals +1D4 fire damage and creates a fire surface for even more damage. You can get it from Roah Moonglow, Arron at The Hollow, and Cyrel at The Risen Road.
- Greater Healing Potion: This potion lets you use a bonus action to self-heal for 4D4+ 4 HP. You can also heal a target by throwing it.
- Basic Poison: You can use a bonus action to coat a weapon with this poison. To get your hands on this, head to the Defiled Temple near the Polma body.
- Feather Fall Scroll: This item grants you immunity to fall damage and slows the descent of allied creatures. You can get it from Arron at The Hollow.
- Alchemist Fire: This deals 1d4 Fire damage per turn to any creature hit. It is dropped by Barton at Bedchamber and Rugan.
Karlach works best as a Barbarian Berserker with medium armor and two-handed weapons like Greatswords and Greataxes. We hope this Baldur’s Gate 3 Best Karlach Companion Build guide helps. As always, happy gaming!