Need help with How to Steal and Pickpocket in Baldur’s Gate 3? You’re not the only one. Keep reading this detailed guide to become a true master of this craft.
More BG3 Content Below;
- Where To Use The Strange Flowery Key In Baldur’s Gate 3 – The Panther Tech
- Baldur’s Gate 3 Should You Use Karmic Dice? – The Panther Tech
- How to Complete the Brain Link Puzzle in Baldur’s Gate 3 – Laboratory Brain Connect Puzzle – The Panther Tech
How to Steal in BG3
To steal items from chests and other containers, approach a container and right-click on it. This will open a menu where you can select “Steal and Add to Wares.” This will transfer the chosen items to your inventory.
How to Pickpocket in BG3
To pickpocket in Baldur’s Gate 3, choose a rogue-like character and select the “Hidden” action on your Hotbar. Then crouch and stealthily approach the unsuspecting NPC you want to pickpocket. Stay away from the red areas on the map. These represent lines of sight of NPCs. Stepping into them will force you to stop hiding.
Once you’re close enough to your chosen NPC, right-click and choose Pickpocket. This will open up the NPC’s entire inventory. You can choose what you steal, but there’s a limit on the number. So pick wisely. As soon as you’re sure of your haul, a dice roll will determine if you get caught or not. If you are successful, you will get to keep the item with no one being the wiser.
Tips and Tricks
- Always bring a full party when stealing or pickpocketing and use your party members to distract wandering NPCs. You can do this by starting a conversation without responding.
- Ungroup your party members when stealing or pickpocketing. This will prevent them from following you.
- Always save before attempting any stealing or pickpocketing. That way, if things go wrong, you can just load your last save.
- If an NPC gets suspicious of you, they may start asking questions. You can “roll” to talk your way out of this. If that doesn’t work, some NPCs also accept bribes.
- Merchants are ideal targets for pickpocketing, as they get their gold back after each rest.
- Never try to sell stolen items back. The NPC may recognize them as their own.
- Stolen items are outlined in red. Avoid selling such items as most reputable vendors will either not accept them or alert the authorities.
- Transfer any stolen items to party characters far away from NPCs. This way, if an NPC decides to check your belongings, they will not find the missing items and let you go.
- When stealing or pickpocketing, it’s best to use characters with a Criminal background, high Dexterity value, and proficiency in Sleight of Hand and Stealth. If your own character isn’t up to the task, you can simply use Astarion.
- Pickpocketing difficulty varies. Some items are harder to steal and require better dice rolls to succeed. As such, it’s best to start with low-value items.
- You can also distract a character you’re pickpocketing by having another character in your party start a conversation with them. This will increase your chances of remaining hidden.
To steal or pickpocket, stealthily approach your target and right-click. We hope this guide on How to Steal and Pickpocket in Baldur’s Gate 3 helps. As always, happy gaming!